another bad line break

Yerkes, Susan SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET
Mon Apr 12 22:09:50 UTC 2004

RE: Arnold Z on line breaks...my grandmother used to quiz me with them
in my youth, spelling something aloud, but pausing to create the effect
of a misplaced line break. My favorite example was always Toot
Hache, which when thus syllabically divided, sounds like a toot in the
act of hatching.

----
Actually, I have another question for the list, this more serious.
The only really big new element in the Touchstone movie of the Alamo, as
I understand it, is the manner of Davy Crockett's death.

Alamo historians are still divided over the authenticity of the De la
Pena diary, a fairly recently discovered journal purportedly kept by one
of Santa Anna's officers during the Texian revolution. In the journal,
De la Pena described several survivors of the dawn siege that toppled
the Alamo, and claimed that Santa Anna ordered them executed. If De la
Pena was correct and the journal is authentic, Crockett did not die
swinging ol' Betsy, as John Wayne did.

If that isn't bad enough for die-hard believers in the mythic-hero
version, here's the REAL rub: According to reviewers (I have yet to see
it) Crockett's last words, spoken as Santa Anna's troops are about to
skewer him, are "I'm a screamer."

It seems to me that I've read enough literature from that period, or
perhaps seen enough Davy Crockett movies -- or maybe it's Twain dialogue
--from way back, that the phrase "I'm a screamer" seems to fit right in
with the backwoodsman ethos, along with "I'm a ba'r wrasslin',
alligator-whompin' son of a gun" or words to that effect.
But many of my fellow Texans apparently interpret that phrase as akin to
"I'm a fainter," which has rather different connotations.

I've followed the list's comments on "Deadwood" dialogue and cowboy
euphemism with interest. Please forgive me if the use of "screamer" as a
descriptive noun on the U.S. frontier has already been discussed here.
And thanks for any response.

Susan Yerkes
Columnist
San Antonio Express-News