Liars Figure (1892); Illegal, Immoral, Fattening (1936); Hash Brownies

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 15 11:55:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> EVERYTHING THAT I LIKE IS EITHER ILLEGAL, IMMORAL, OR FATTENING
>    This is a little earlier than what I'd posted before...Credited to=20
> Alexander Woollcott...Would probably be a good motto for the Martha
> Stewart=20= Dessert=20 Bake-Off.

Alexander Woollcott is attested as saying this in 1933, W. C. Fields in
1934.

In general, though, Barry's recent postings have been knocking off the
coinage-stories of a number of famous quotations, really quite stunning
work.  Another way of putting it: Barry has made more significant
quotation discoveries in the past week than Bartlett's has in the last few
decades.  Really.  Keep up the great work, Barry!

Fred Shapiro