Snarf

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Fri Apr 16 20:45:04 UTC 2004

>:: OED does not have "snarf."  The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG has
>:: "snarf,' meaning to eat or to drink, from 1960s+.
>
>: Ms. Despres over at M-W does a great job of listing the verb "snarf"
>: from 1965, coming probably from the verb "scarf" ca. 1960,  coming
>: from the mid-1800's verb "scoff."

Snarf to me has always been the sound your nose makes (occasionally and
usually embarrassingly) in the midst of laughter. "You just snarfed!" was a
common saying in the corridors of my high school and a snarf usually
brought on more laughing, and more snarfing. [Sandra Bullock's character in
Miss Congeniality does it often].

Kathleen E. Miller
They now call me "News Assistant, Columnist"
The New York Times