Superliner; Madagascar sauce; Island mountain; Fairy circle; Washboard road; Jass band

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 21 08:28:13 UTC 2004

   Greetings again from Swakopmund, Namibia.  I wrote this long message, had to sign on AOL again, and have to write this all over again after the original was destroyed.

JASS BAND

   In 1996, I meticulously went theough the Wisconsin (Milwaukee), Illinois (Chicago), and Louisiana (New Orleans) newspapers for "jazz."  I put the results here on ADS-L.  I had found "jazz band" before this in 1916.
   Someone screwed up the ADS server and all my work was destroyed.
   No one can find my 1885 "bootleg," either?  I've got to repeat my work over and over and over, for each new person, and even for that new person, I've got to repeat it every year?  Not a single person remembers any of this?

SUPERLINER

   Sounds like a big ship or an AMTRAK train.  In Namibia, it's a supermarket!

(GOOGLE)
NCCI - Superliner Supermarkets Namibia (Pty) Ltd... Superliner Supermarkets Namibia (Pty) Ltd Address PO Box 20682 Bessemer St 21 Windhoek Contact Mr Ronald Glen-Spyron 23 6846 Email: sprliner at iafrica.com.na. ...
goss.rho.net/ncci/members/superliner.htm - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

NCCI - Business Directory - Retail Industry... Superliner Supermarkets Namibia (Pty) Ltd, PO Box 20682 Bessemer St 21 Windhoek, Mr Ronald Glen-Spyron 23 6846 sprliner at iafrica.com.na. ...
goss.rho.net/ncci/htm/bd_retail.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Superliner launches new brands... Superliner Namibia, a buying group for a large number of supermarkets in the country, has announced a number of new brands, which will allow their smaller ...
www.namibian.com.na/2002/april/ marketplace/025824C14E.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

MADAGASCAR SAUCE

   "Madagascar sauce" was served at the popular Joe's Beer House in Windhoek.  See the 92 Google hits and 3 Google Groups hits.

(GOOGLE)
Wisconsin's Restaurant Guide - Red Circle Inn Menu
... Your Butcher Shop Specialty is prepared as you request, complimented with your selection
of: Au Poivre Sauce, Bearnaise Sauce, Madagascar Sauce, Wild Mushroom ...
www.foodspot.com/redcircleinn/menu.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] Welcome to the Highwood at SAIT!
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... Herb Roasted Inside Round $27.00 with Madagascar Sauce 6 oz Roasted Pork Tenderloin
$26.00 with Apple and Ginger Relish Granola Crusted Supreme of Chicken ...
www.sait.ab.ca/academic/applied/coned2001/catering.pdf - Similar pages

Table D'Hote Dinner Menu at the Ambassador Hotel
... Panfried Monkfish served with a Tomato Coulis & Basil Oil. Prime Sirloin
Steak resting on a bed of Fennel accompanied by a Madagascar Sauce. ...
www.ambassadorhotel.ie/DHOTEMenu.htm - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

DoubleTree Berkeley Marina - Holiday Menus
... with Blackberry Sauce And Appropriate Condiments and Petite Breads New York Strip
Sirloin (Carved in Room) Served with a Madagascar Sauce and Appropriate ...
www.webeventplanner.com/directory/doubletreeberkeleymarina/ holiday_menus.html - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

ISLAND MOUNTAIN & INSELBERG

   An "island mountain" is a mountain that rises over the desert (no water here in Namibia).  OED has "island mountain" and the German "inselberg" both from about 1906, but I can probably do better with earlier Namibian documents.

FAIRY CIRCLE

   This is another important term here.  OED has a 1653 citation, but see the Namibian evidence for an entry update.

(GOOGLE)
BBC NEWS | Africa | Enigma of Namibia's 'fairy circles'
... Week at a Glance Wednesday, 31 March, 2004, 20:10 GMT 21:10 UK Enigma
of Namibia's 'fairy circles'. South African botanists say they ...
news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/africa/3587431.stm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from news.bbc.co.uk ]

Daily Times - Site Edition
... Attempts by South African botanists to explain “fairy circles” in Namibia
— bizarre outlines in the grass, somewhat akin to Britain’s bogus crop ...
www.dailytimes.com.pk/ default.asp?page=story_5-4-2004_pg9_7 - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Fairy Circles in Namibia :: Wytches' Web :: uk based information ...
... Fairy Circles in Namibia Posted by: witchywiles. Topic ... tours. Full story.
Fairy Circles in Namibia | Login/Create an account | 0 Comments. ...
www.wytchesweb.net/ modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2572 - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

'Fairy circles' baffle scientists
... Paris - Attempts by South African botanists to explain "fairy circles" in Namibia
- bizarre outlines in the grass, somewhat similar to Britain's bogus crop ...
www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/ 0,,2-13-1443_1506184,00.html - 62k - 19 Apr 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

TLC :: Namibia's 'Fairy Circles' Mystify S
... March 31, 2004 — Attempts by South African botanists to explain "fairy circles"
in Namibia — bizarre outlines in the grass, somewhat akin to Britain's ...
tlc.discovery.com/news/afp/20040329/mystery.html - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Enigma of Namibia's 'fairy-circles' -
... Click to scroll to commentary. Enigma of Namibia's 'fairy-circles' -
BBC - UK ^ | March 31, 2004. ... Enigma of Namibia's 'fairy-circles' -. ...
209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1109402/posts - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

WASHBOARD ROAD, CORDUROY ROAD, CORRUGATED ROAD

   My tour guide (a native of South Africa but now a citizen of Namibia) says that they have "corrugated roads" here in Namibia, and that these would be called "corduroy roads" in Canada and "washboard roads" in the United States.
   I don't have the time to look into this right now, but someone else can.