Antedating "bobby socks" (1927)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Apr 21 22:53:01 UTC 2004

Jonathon,

I agree totally with Doug Wilson about "bob>bobby  from "short"  as in 'bob-tailed nag.'  The tops of the socks were turned down into a 'cuff' (see below).  I think they were manufactured that way, already cuffed.

Anyway, since we're here we might as well help Jesse and JoAnne.

11 Nov. 1927, _Mansfield(OH) News_  14/4

An advertisment(Newspaperarchive)

<<"BOBBY SOX"/For Women/89cents/Ankle length sport sox--novelty cuff style wool and rayon mixtures; to be worn with or without galoshes--[appealing to 'flappers'?-ed]  All colors.  Main Floor.>>

Sam Clements