Pietersite (1962); Sugilite (1970s)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 22 07:36:13 UTC 2004

OT MISC.--Several Namibian stores have a gate at the entrance, and you have to be buzzed in.  Even "Information" has this!  There are "Car Watch" kids with these smocks on city streets here in Swakopmund.  Yes, crime is bad in Namibia, just like it is in South Africa.  The problems are just on a smaller scale.

JASS BAND--Yes, I'd posted the lyrics to the "Ev'rybody Loves a Jass Band" song.  But I also went through the entire 1916 year of the MILWAUKEE JOURNAL, the CHICAGO TRIBUNE, the NEW ORLEANS TIMES-PICAYUNE, and others, and posted all that in four different posts...Boat names are just as important as horse names, and just as neglected.  I didn't find anything relevant during a search made in 1996.

PIETERSITE

PIETERSITE--18,100 Google hits, 54 Google Groups hits

   This gem name is not in OED.  It was discovered in 1962 by Sid Pieters of Windhoek, and the thing is native to Namibia, although the similar "Eagle's Eye" gem is from China.

(GOOGLE)
Avalon Crystals-Gemstone properties of crystals and stones. ...
... Mr. Sid Pieters the man who discovered the semi-precious stone, Pietersite was in
Hermanus recently where he paid a visit to Tiger-Eye to see how his discover ...
www.neatstuff.net/avalon/info/info-p.html - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Stone Information Pietersite * designer gemstones * jewelry ...
... The mine was discovered by Sid Pieters of Namibia in 1962 ... he registered the find in
the mineral records of Britain, and it was published in 1964 as Pietersite. ...
www.unconventionallapidarist.com/ xcart/catalog/category_588_Stone_Information_Pietersite_page_1.html - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

Metaphysical Properties of Pietersite - Heaven & Earth Jewelry
... It was named after its discoverer, Sid Pieters. Mystic Lore: Intuitive sources say
that Pietersite carries the energy of the 'storm' element, and can purify ...
www.heavenandearthjewelry.com/articles/pietersite.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Stone Power, Volume One
... It was first discovered in Nambia by Sid Pieters around 1962 ... 1964 he registered his
new stone with Britian's mineral records and it was published as Pietersite. ...
www.ozarkrockexchange.com/ore_features/ 2003/pietersite.shtml - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

SUGILITE

SUGILITE--35,200 Google hits, 227 Google Groups hits

   "Sugilite" was also shown in the Kristall Galerie here.  It was discovered by a Professor Sug in Japan in the early 1970s.
   Again, not in the OED.

(GOOGLE)
Sugilite... Sugilite is one of the newest and rarest gemstone minerals known to man. ... Many have hailed Sugilite as the gem of the "New Age." ...
solo18.abac.com/mward/sugilite/ - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

SUGILITE (Potassium Sodium Lithium Iron Manganese Aluminum ...THE MINERAL SUGILITE. ... Its jewelry uses are becoming widespread and sugilite is being used in jewelry styles with turquoise, malachite and coral. ...
mineral.galleries.com/minerals/ silicate/sugilite/sugilite.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

sugilite jewelry cabachons sugilite mineral specimens... INFORMATION ON SUGILITE. Sugilite is getting harder to find but we have friend at the mine so we still have some quality pieces. ...
www.metastones.com/finalweb/sugi-list.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar pages