Skeleton Coast; Schweine Ohren; Zebra Crossing; Fools Names & Faces

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 25 17:39:57 UTC 2004

   Greetings from the Mokuti Lodge, just outside Etosha National Park in Namibia.  I leave on a 17-plus hour flight home on Wednesday and should arrive Thursday morning.

SKELETON COAST

  My tour guide, the former director of Etosha Hu Berry, says that "Skeleton Coast" is not from the shipwrecks, as you'd think.  He says that human skeletons are devoured quite fast.  He stated that the "skeleton" is from whale bones.
  I'll have to do some research when I return.  Why, however, did the petroglyphs and rock paintings feature all types of animals, even a penguin and a seal, but no whales?

ZEBRA CROSSING

   We saw thousands of springbok and zebra.  A zebra crossed the road.  "That's the origin of 'zebra crossing,'" said my guide.
   Hm.  You can't trust this guy.

SCHWEINE OHREN

  In a "Backerei" in the Germanic town of Swakopmund, "schweine ohren--butterflies" was seen on a bakery product.  "Butterflies" is the English translation of "pig's ears"??

FOOLS' NAME AND FOOLS' FACES

   There was a sign in Etosha National Park warning not to write on the trees.  Of course, we saw a fresh carving.  Someone from Missouri--another tourist from Missouri who says he has a million of these--said that fools' names and fool's faces are often seen in public places.
   I'll work on this in a few days.  Dunno what Fred Shapiro has.

(GOOGLE) (658 hits)
BrothersJudd.com - Review of Andrew Ferguson's Fools' Names, Fools ...
... from the earlier days of America, I think -- it goes, "Fools' names, like fools'
faces, are often seen in public places," which means sort of the public square ...
www.brothersjudd.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/reviews.detail/ book_id/323/Fools'%20Names.htm - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

Social Research: Part 1: Private/Public: The Evolution of the ...
... Auden's lines play against an old and much simpler proverb ("Fools'
names and fools' faces/Are often seen in public places"). But ...
www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m2267/1_68/ 75658585/p5/article.jhtml?term= - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

HighBeam Research: Search Results: Article
... through my head like forgotten scenes in dreams --Ralph Ellison Fools' names like
fools' faces, are often seen in public places --Thomas Fuller Handed [told it ...
www.highbeam.com/ library/doc0.asp?DOCID=1P1:28035333&num=2 - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

NewsLibrary Document Delivery
... I believe in an old saying: Fools' names and fools' faces always appear
in public places. I for one protest at the ballot box. I vote. ...
www.larta.org/pl/NewsArticles/30July00DailyNews.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar pages