Skeleton Coast; Schweine Ohren; Zebra Crossing; Fools Names & Faces

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 26 01:42:45 UTC 2004

At 1:39 PM -0400 4/25/04, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>SCHWEINE OHREN
>
>   In a "Backerei" in the Germanic town of Swakopmund, "schweine
>ohren--butterflies" was seen on a bakery product.  "Butterflies" is
>the English translation of "pig's ears"??

Just a guess--was this a dessert?  A flat pastry in the (rough) shape
of ears?  I know those as "elephant ears", but I can imagine them
also being called either "pigs' ears" or "butterflies."

Larry, purely speculating