Letters fron soldiers

Mon Apr 26 13:51:52 UTC 2004

I know there are numerous collections of letters from
soldiers in print, but is there a library or
repository for such letters, be they copies or
originals:  not just select letters regarding certain
aspects of war and military life, but one containing a
broad cross-section of letters - including those
addressing the trivial and mundane?  More
specifically, is there a searchable database of such
letters?  (I'm thinking specifically of American
soldiers in WWI, but renewal of the "whole nine yards"
discussion also spurs the supposition that letters
from soldiers would contain earlier cites than any
other source, and perhaps even provide a valid
etymology.)

=====