childhood rhymes

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sun Aug 1 01:06:17 UTC 2004

We learned our 4-and-20 rhyme from our mother, so it must date to the early
20th c. at least.  I never thought of it as a girly game, but maybe it
was.  And one correction to my ageing memory:  I didn't bounce the ball
continuously; rather, I'd bounce a little rubber ball four times and catch
it on the fifth (shoe, door, sticks, etc.)--until the 21, 22 two-line set,
when I couldn't stop bouncing until the end (half-past TWO), after 10
bounces.  The pressure really built in the last quatrain, when about 20
bounces had to be sustained before my fist could grab the ball in
triumph.  Novices would stop at 19, 20--which is maybe why most people only
know the rhyme to that point!

I don't know the jumping over versions you mention.  And I never played
hopscotch, but jacks?  My brothers taught me that!