Texas Weiners, from New Jersey (City Directory check); Popcorn Ice Cream

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 1 02:44:12 UTC 2004

It's July 31, and the two Oxford University Press books aren't yet at my local Barnes & Noble booksellers:

HATCHET JOBS AND HARDBALL: THE OXFORD DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN POLITICAL SLANG (Grant Barrett, editor)

EATING YOUR WORDS (William Grimes, editor)

Yes, Oxford allows me to buy EATING YOUR WORDS at my local Barnes and Noble. This is almost as humiliating as the Audrey Munson book that I wrote but didn't write.  Maybe more humiliating.

Anyway, greetings from an NYU room that I'm allowed in, and that has air.

POPCORN ICE CREAM

I was walking down in K-Town (Koreatown on West 32nd Street) and this was advertised in the window. Alas, it contains no popcorn.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.minimelts.com/usa/usindex.html
Mini Melts Looks And Tastes Different.

The concept of cryogenically frozen ice cream (the use of extremely cold temperatures to freeze ice cream) is an excellent way to lock in the flavor of the ice cream in a truly unique way. First, it is well known the faster a product can be frozen, the better it will taste. Using liquid nitrogen we flash freeze our ice cream in split seconds.

Secondly, normal ice cream must have air whipped into it to enable it to be scooped … Mini Melts has no air whipped into it. And, finally, the exciting shapes produced by this process are mouth wateringly irresistible … some people call it popcorn ice cream … we call it “The Ice Cream Dream!”

(GOOGLE)
http://www2.townonline.com/brookline/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=37868
Business notes: New menu at Vinny T's
Thursday, July 15, 2004
(...)
   'Cool Fun in the Summertime!' at Paris Creperie

    Paris Creperie at 278 Harvard St. in Coolidge Corner, across the street from Brookline Booksmith, has recently become the only restaurant in greater Boston serving Mini Melts - The Ice Cream Dream.

    Mini Melts is cryogenically frozen ice cream (the use of extremely cold temperatures to freeze ice cream) which locks in the flavor of this high-quality ice cream in a unique way. No air is whipped into the ice cream, making each cup irresistible. Paris Creperie owner Chuck Silverston says, "Some people call it popcorn ice cream, we just call it fun and delicious."

    While Paris Creperie serves high-tech ice cream, it also offers everybody's favorite, Richie's Slush, a legendary taste treat since 1956. Paris Creperie also offers a wide range of delicious smoothies ranging from the vitamin-enriched Triathelete to the sinfully scrumptious Nutella frozen hot chocolate. "Nutella is unbelievable," says Silverston. "People go crazy over it." If frozen yogurt is your taste, Paris Creperie offers a wide selection.

    Paris Creperie has been honored by the Phantom Gourmet as a "Hidden Jewel" and "Tiny Treasure," but now customers are also invited to sample refreshing summer treats as well.

TEXAS WEINERS, FROM NEW JERSEY (CITY DIRECTORY CHECK)

I don't know what DARE has on the New Jersey Texas "weiner" (not "wiener"). I can't remember if I check the City Directories for this, but here goes. The City Directories list a copyright year the same as the directory year.

RICHMOND'S PLAINFIELD (NEW JERSEY) DIRECTORY 1927
New Brunswick, NJ: R. L. Polk & Co.
1927
Pg. 527: Texas Hot Weinie Shoppe (Geo Christman) 100 Watchung av
Pg. 1000: Texas Hot Wiener (sic) Shop 100 Watchung av

PATERSON (Haledon, Hawthorne, Prospect Park, Little Falls, Totowa Borough, West Paterson) DIRECTORY 1931
Newark, NJ: The Price & Lee Co.
1931
Pg. 1334: Paterson Hot Weiner Restaurant, 370 Grand

POLK'S PLAINFIELD (UNION COUNTY, N. J.) CITY DIRECTORY 1935
Orange, NJ: R. L. Polk & Co.
1935
Pg. 536: Texas Lunch Co (Geo C Christman) 100 Watchung av

(In 1925, under "restaurants," pg. 771, the Plainfield guide has "Bouka & Co 100 Watchung av"--ed.)