Unique New York; Merriam-Webster press release makes news

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 1 17:56:50 UTC 2004

UNIQUE NEW YORK

I've added this to my "Big Apple" web site. If Fred Shapiro or Jonathan
Lighter or others have anything on it, please let me know.

Unique New York
Unique New York
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers in unique New York.

MERRIAM-WEBSTER PRESS RELEASE MAKES NEWS

It's on page three of my Sunday New York Post. Heck, "Mary Kay's secret love
letters" are on the front page and are splashed on pages 4-5. Yes, Mary Kay's
"secret" love letters. What a news scoop. Timely, tasteful and poignant.

Here's the big news press release. Merriam-Webster has added words. Shocking!

Merriam-Webster Takes Stand on Teensploitation
Thursday July 15, 12:20 pm ET
More new words added to Eleventh Edition of Collegiate(R) Dictionary
SPRINGFIELD, Mass., July 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Just as American teens start hearing the
phrase "back-to-school" everywhere they turn, one last reminder of summer comes
along, as the word teensploitation -- defined as "the exploitation of
teenagers by producers of teen-oriented films" -- has been given a thumbs-up from
Merriam-Webster's language experts for inclusion in the newest version of its
best-selling Collegiate Dictionary. "We've been watching this word since 1982,"
said John M. Morse, president and publisher of Merriam- Webster Inc., "and it's
a word that probably would never have been invented if we didn't already have
the related word blaxploitation, which was coined in the 1970s."

"Up until a few years ago, teensploitation appeared almost exclusively in
show-business publications," Morse added, "but in recent years it has gone
mainstream, appearing in publications such as Vogue, Vanity Fair, and The New York
Times. On the basis of that pattern of usage, the editors decided it was time
to add the word to the dictionary."

Also new to the 2004 copyright of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary,
Eleventh Edition are body wrap ("a body treatment involving the application of
usu. oils or gels followed by a wrapping of the body with a sheet"), clafouti
("a dessert consisting of a layer of fruit topped with batter and baked") and
pleather ("a plastic fabric made to look like leather").

These and other new words join the more than 10,000 new words and meanings
introduced when the new Eleventh Edition launched in July 2003. The 2004 update
brings the in-print total to more than one million copies for this edition,
which for the first time combined a print dictionary with a CD-ROM and online
access. "Everything about it has exceeded our expectations," said Morse.

For a list of the latest Collegiate Dictionary entries-and their
definitions-please visit Merriam-Webster OnLine (http://www.Merriam- Webster.com). For
additional information on how words are selected for a Merriam-Webster
dictionary, or to arrange an interview on this topic with John M. Morse, please contact
Arthur J. Bicknell, Senior Publicist, at the above address.

Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Merriam-Webster Inc. acquired the rights to revise and publish Noah Webster's
dictionaries in 1843. Since then, Merriam-Webster has maintained an ongoing
commitment to innovation, scholarship, and love of language. Today, the company
continues as the leader in both print and electronic language reference
publishing with reference products, learning tools, and word games. For more
information about the company, and about the new Merriam-Webster's Collegiate
Dictionary, Eleventh Edition, visit Merriam-Webster OnLine at
http://www.Merriam-Webster.com.