Behind the Green Door

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sun Aug 1 22:58:13 UTC 2004

        Safire's discussion of "green door" may be incomplete, but I don't know that it's wrong.

        I notice an earlier story entitled "The Green Door," printed in the 1/25/1890 issue of Littell's Living Age (available on Cornell's Making of America), where it was reprinted from an unspecified issue of Temple Bar.  The author's name is not given.  In this story, "green door" once again suggests mystery and romance, as it is the door to the home of a lady of mystery.

        I also note that the phrase was used in Thackeray's novel, The Newcomes (1855), where it seemingly is associated with business:  ""Confound it! there are wine-vaults under the chapel!" answers downright Charles. "I saw the name, Sherrick and Co.; offices, a green door, and a brass plate. . . .""  Of course, this may just be one of the many references to a door that happens to be green.

John Baker