"Is is"

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Aug 2 13:50:24 UTC 2004

On Aug 2, 2004, at 7:58 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      "Is is"
> --------
>
> Brian Kilmeade, anchor on "Fox & Friends," 2 Aug 04:
>
> "Isn't the good news is we've really got 'em now?"
>
> Slip of the tongue?  Or a new syntactic twist on the "double is"?
>
> BTW, I discussed "double-is" with my intro to linguistics class in
> November 2003, and none of the twenty-plus students were (consciously)
> familiar with the construction.
>
> JL

A linguist friend of mine, to whom I will be forever grateful - even
though he refuses to believe that "CaribBEan" was ever the preferred
pronunciation of "Caribbean" - pointed out to me that, in certain
constructions, I was using a triple "is," e.g. "What the situation is
is [lowered pitch+pause], is that I'm using a triple 'is' without
realizing it."

-Wilson Gray