"Is is"

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Aug 2 15:44:11 UTC 2004

On Aug 2, 2004, at 10:52 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Is is"
> --------
>
> So, Wilson, in a thousand years they'll know who was responsible....
>
> JL

Lord, I hope not! I've spent my life looking for the perfect language
or, failing that, trying to find a way to return English to the
pristine state that it was in in the '50's, when everyone "knew" that
the "correct" forms were, e.g.

wake (up)  woke (up)  wakened

awake  awoke  awakened

wake (up)  waked (up)  waked (up)

awake  awaked  awakened

Now, I ask you, what could be simpler than that? Is there any such form
as "(a)woken(ed)" in this set? Of course not! And why not? Because
everyone "knew" that any such form as that would be "wrong"! and
speaking of "wrong," how has it come about, that, despite historical
origin, *every* initial "r" is rounded? If you watch the mouths of
animated-cartoon characters, even *they* say such as "Oright"! And
every BE speaker once knew that the plural of. e.g. "my baby daddy" was
"my babies daddy" or "my babies daddies" and not - aaarrrggghhh! - "my
baby daddies," as even BET would now have it! What's a purist to do,
other than to cry himself to sleep at night? Sigh! One can only hope.

-Wilson Gray