Off-point, maybe, query re "stickball"

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Aug 3 03:46:44 UTC 2004

We used to play a game with a real bat and a real baseball. The batter
tossed the ball into the air and hit it as it was coming down. The game
was called "knockout." Everybody but the batter was a fielder. Catch a
ball on the fly and you became the batter. Fielding three grounders
also made you the batter. If the batter swung and missed, it just made
him look like a dork.

There was a special bat called a "fungo bat" that was used in the same
way by coaches for fielding practice in organized baseball. We just
used any bat handy. I never understood why the pros needed a special
bat for this kind of thing.

Thanks for the info.

-Wilson Gray