The history of saluting

Rachel Henderson owtrayjus-rachel at COMCAST.NET
Tue Aug 3 23:16:36 UTC 2004

Bet ya' didn't know (or, maybe you did).....

In the United States Navy, an enlisted servicemember, when walking faster
than an officer, is expected to say "By you leave, Sir (Ma'am), as he or she
breezes past.

Imagine how crazy this was for me in basic training......I delivered the
mail, double time!

Rachel Henderson

Try Curling!
www.usacurl.org

since i started as an assistant professor (one step up from instructor)
in 1965, and most of them not only didn't know me by sight, but they
probably didn't even recognize my name.  on the other hand, i knew
almost all the provosts at least socially, and a couple of ohio state's
presidents (once i became a distinguished professor and served as an
adviser to the president and provost).

i can't recall ever coming across one of these presidents or provosts
sauntering across campus, though.  they're unbelievably busy people.  i
have no idea who'd speak first -- maybe the first to catch sight of the
other.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)