Pier Six brawl

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 5 14:41:55 UTC 2004

George Thompson said:
>Listening to the MYMets game on the radio last night, I was reminded
>of a phrase I used to hear from my father.  One of the broadcasters
>remarked at his surprise at hearing Bob Murphy, the former
>broadcaster who had just died, describe a fight on the field as a
>"Pier Six brawl".  The present broadcaster had not heard the
>expression, and supposed it was a relict of Murphy's time in the
>Marines.  (Murphy was nearly 80 and had grown up in I think Kansas &
>Oklahoma, where I believe they do not have piers.  Brawls, yes, but
>not piers.)  I don't listen to the Mets often enough to know the
>broadcasters by their voices; both are more or less young, and at
>least one is a NYer.

Gary Cohen and Howie Rose, both probably at least in their late 30s
(both have been involved in broadcasting New York teams since at
least the late 80s) and both are native NYers. Before the tv
broadcast of that game, the pregame show had both players and
broadcasters reminiscing about listening to Murphy's broadcasts on
the radio when they were kids.
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963