m & n

Thomas Paikeday thomaspaikeday at SPRINT.CA
Sat Aug 7 13:50:17 UTC 2004

Has anyone heard "Guantanamo" pronounced as "Guantamano"? I thouhgt I heard
it thrice last week  (not a slip of the tongue, meseems) from Bob Hunter (of
CityTV, Toronto), a well-known reporter and commentator. Which reminds me of
Carl Sagan (I may be trying to out-Ripley Ripley, but Bob seems in good
company) saying "anemone" as "amenome". I was too young at that time to be
suspected of Alzheimer's.

QUESTION TO PHONETICIANS: Is this something like metathesis as in the
commonly heard "aks" for "ask" with a vowel thrown in between the consonants
in question? If so, what do you call it and do you have other examples? Easy
answers may be transposition of sounds as in "slow and sneet" instead of
"sleet and snow," phonetic resemblance (?) between m & n, etc. But I am
looking for something better.

Thanks.

TOM PAIKEDAY
www.paikeday.net