a bare simmer

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 9 14:59:39 UTC 2004

At 9:28 AM -0500 8/9/04, Sally Donlon wrote:
>The adjectival use of "bare" meaning "mere" may not be in
>the OED, but other such uses spring to mind immediately:
>bare minimum, bare necessity, bare facts.
>
>sally donlon

It is in the OED.   AHD4 has

4. Having no addition, adornment, or qualification: the bare facts.

The OED has the following; evidently, "bare necessity" surfaces in
Addison's "bare necessaries" (you'll have to draw in the dancing
bear).

III. Without anything of the nature of addition.

11. Without addition, mere, simple;  and nothing else,  only. bare
contract in Law: an
unconditional promise or surrender.

c1200 Moral Ode 137 in Lamb. Hom. 167 Hefde he bon er enne dei oer
twa bare tide.
1711 ADDISON Spect. No. 69. 5 Nature indeed furnishes us with the
bare Necessaries of Life. 1769 Junius Lett. xiii. 56 A bare
contradiction will have no weight.
1844 LD. BROUGHAM Brit. Const. xix. §6 (1862) 373 A bare majority of seven to
five.