Blending, malaphor, or what?

John Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Tue Aug 10 14:39:35 UTC 2004

>From an AP story about Alan Keyes' entrance into the Illinios Senate race against Barrack Obama:

<<Obama said Monday that there would be "a sufficient number of debates" between himself and Keyes-- both men are Harvard-educated, polished debaters... He declined to set a specific number, adding that staffers in the two campaigns would IRON ON the details later.>>[emphasis added]
It is amusing to speculate about what the reporter has been doing that would make "iron on" pop out instead of the metaphorical "iron out", but I have to admit that the more I looked at it, the more it started to make sense.  So I stopped looking at it.

Sean Fitzpatrick
Irony-Free Zone:  Abandon tropes, all ye who enter here.