Those pesky negatives (revisited)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Aug 11 00:07:06 UTC 2004

Wilson,

Serious? Did you think I was serious? F1 and F2 distinctions in vowel
rotations are serious; split infinitives - hardly.

Well, Wilson appears to be right for the great majority of those who
care about splitting infinitives; hardly a mention of negatives in
all the hand-wringing (only an occasional reference to a badly placed
"never").

While we are talking about those who care, please (everybody) go back
and read Fowler's wonderful entry on split infinitives.
Sociolinguistics really was invented before 1966.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu