wheel barrels?

Rachel Henderson owtrayjus-rachel at COMCAST.NET
Wed Aug 11 19:29:48 UTC 2004

Umm....ok....note in advance that my skills are dusty, so I now belong to
this list..and have been reading like crazy.  That probably explains my
amateur input to, but that's O.K., we all have to start somewhere....no?

I would not say 'eel marrow' as 'marrel' either.

But I can believe that English speakers would mistake wheelbarrow for
wheelbarrel, not just due to natural articulation habits, but, also quite
likely, because actual wheelbarrow, in a way, is akin to a barrel with a
wheel (but with the top removed).

By the way....my 15 year-old son just walked in the room, so I asked him how
to spell wheelbarrow.  He spelled it correctly...and chuckled when I told
him that I had to do a double-take on the word (it's been a long time since
I had pondered the spelling), and he professed immediately that he thinks
the spelling was changed from -barrel to -barrow at some point in recent
(100) years because of southern accents.....hehe.....

Rachel Henderson