Cal-Mex (1964); Say it ain't so (1930)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 13 05:39:13 UTC 2004

CAL-MEX

I've been looking for "Tex-Mex" and "Cal-Mex" in the digitized Los Angeles
Times, now stuck in the 1960s at 1965. Perhaps this helps for the latter term.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
ROUNDABOUT... with Art Ryon
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: May 29, 1964. p.
D2 (1 page) "
First, I gave the wrong address for that fine Mexican restaurant, the Cal-Mex
Cafe, in the industrial district. It's 3667 E. Olympic Blvd.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Next
 La Verne Leader    Wednesday, December 04, 1968 La Verne, California
...RIB END i PORK ROAST HR FRESH TOFU CAL-MEX ABALONE From Can ARKANSAS
BLUE..

 Valley News    Thursday, December 05, 1968 Van Nuys, California
...lb. Bog 59 Blue Rose Type Rice f-WV mm CAL-MEX BRAND PRODUCT OF MEXICO
Abalone..

"SAY IT AIN'T SO, JOE"

Ancestry.com has announced several Chicago newspapers in its new databases
section. I didn't see "sport peppers" anywhere. The papers aren't of the 1910s
"jazz" period. It's just a few scattered years.

"Say it ain't so, Joe" is an alleged Chicago phrase from the "Black Sox"
scandal of 1920. I re-checked it against the Chicago Tribune, Sporting News, and
Newspaperarchive, but didn't find anything near 1920.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("say it ain't/isn't so" and "joe jackson")
Majors Plan to Throw Parks Open Free To "Kids" Who Have Time But No Money;
Movement to Admit Youths Gratis on Week Days Grows.
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Mar 27, 1930. p. 15 (1
page):
It was a small boy who appealed to Joe Jackson with the "Say it ain't so,
Joe," which went round the world when the White Sox star admitted that everything
was not all that it should have been in 1919.

LEGAL BETTING IDEA DRAWS WICKS' GIBE; Saying O'Dwyer Would Turn Sports Over
to 'Tinhorns,' He Adds 'Say It Isn't So, Bill' Cites Spain,Italy, Cuba Recalls
Black Sox Scandal
By LEO EGAN Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1857-Current
file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 16, 1950. p. 40 (1 page)

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC

WHERE DID BARRY POPIK GO FOR DINNER?--Ithaka, East 86th Street between First
and Second Avenues. I'm trying some Greek restaurants this month. This meal
"won the gold" from me. Eight dollars for an eggplant appetizer?