Another "$100 Misunderstanding" (1)

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Aug 13 22:50:39 UTC 2004

On Aug 13, 2004, at 5:48 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Another "$100 Misunderstanding" (1)
> --------
>
> I think I noted that it was my nonstandard speaking Milwaukee wife
> who said puh-JAE-muh (rather than my correct pu-JA-muh. (Sorry for
> returning to sarcastic crap about who's standard-nonstandard. Old
> dog, new tricks, all that shit.)
>
> What's odd about about a stress alternation bwteen the n. of
> XN-vuh-lowp and the v. of xn_VEL-up? (I put an X for the vowels which
> show regular I/E alternation before nasals, as is well known in all
> southern and southern influenced speech, assuming that that is not
> the point here.) In my case, for example, I have n. AHN-vuh-lowp and
> v. In-VEL-uhp.
>
> dInIs

I agree with you entirely as to the pronunciation of "envelope" the
noun vs. the pronunciation of "envelope" the verb. What my stepfather
did, apparently, was to derive the noun from the verb, so that, for
him, the sole distinction between the pronunciation of the noun and the
pronunciation of the verb was the placement of primary stress. He used
neither "AHN vuh lope" nor "IN vuh lope" nor "EN vuh lope." He used "IN
veh lup" where eh = e as in get and u = schwa. It was like changing the
pronunciation of "develop" to "DEvelop" and using that instead of
"development."

I didn't mean to appear to be taking you to task wrt to pajamas. For
me, both forms are equally valid, to the extent that, in real-life
conversation, I never notice any difference. I'd have to ask my wife to
know which she uses, despite the fact that I've been listening to her
talk for a quarter-century. Hmm. That's rather clumsily put, but you
get my meaning. And, FWIW, I use aesc in pronouncing "jammies.";-)

-Wilson