Nitnoi/Nitnoy (1970)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Aug 14 07:33:34 UTC 2004

Here is the Thai "nit noi" used as a nickname ("Nitnoi" or "Nitnoy") for a
Sikorsky HH-3 rescue helicopter. The HH-3 was much smaller than the HH-53:
hence its name, I suppose. (Both helicopters were large, and both were
called "Jolly Green Giant".)

This cartoon is dated 1970.

It shows a big helicopter from Udorn (Thailand) and a little one from
Danang which is picking up a GI. The words from the big chopper: "I don't
believe this! Here we orbit for ten hours to make a pickup -- and who gets
it? The damn Nitnois!!!"

http://www.pjsinnam.com/Udo_Toons/Images/Snatch!.jpg

[Also: http://www.pjsinnam.com/Udo_Toons/Udo_page_2.htm]

[Also: http://www.pjsinnam.com/VN_History/Word_Docs/Chronology/1970.doc]

"Nitnoi"/"Nitnoy" is again apparently taken as = "small [thing]".

-- Doug Wilson