Chicano English and Code switching

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat Aug 14 14:40:29 UTC 2004

Thanks to everyone who gave me their take on dialects in fiction.  It
was a big help!

I have another related question.  In my own fiction, I'm using both a
bit of Chicano English and also characters who code switch between
English and Spanish.  Can anyone recommend some good resources on both
the dialect of CE and on how speakers code switch?

Thanks!

Patti Kurtz
English department
Minot State University
Minot, ND
--

Freeman - And what drives you on, fighting the monster?

Straker - I don't know, something inside me I guess.

Freeman - It's called dedication.

Straker - Pig-headedness would be nearer.