Republican Elephant & GOP

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 18 06:32:16 UTC 2004

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC

WHERE DID BARRY POPIK GO FOR DINNER?--Miss Saigon (Vietnamese), Third Avenue
and West 80th Street, right next to Eli's market.

MOST POPULAR QUERIES ON MY WEB SITE--"The Big Apple" has not been the most
popular query where people find www.barrypopik.com with search engines. Unique
visitors have come to the site searching for "Negimaki," "Trylon and
Periisphere," "Indict a Ham Sandwich," "Fugeddaboutit," "Pasta Fazoole," "Potatoes
O'Brien," and "Audrey Munson." Some of the searches ask for stuff I didn't even
know that I posted on the site. Five people look for an obscure model named Sunny
Griffin?

AUDREY MUNSON--Well, maybe I'll get credit it this book, but don't hold your
breath.
http://jschumacher.typepad.com/audrey_munson/2004/02/the_firemans_me.html#comm
ents
I am writing a short biography and possible documentary for TV about Audrey
Marie Munson.
I would welcome any thoughts and ideas that you may have about your family
relationship to her.Posted by: Robert Winter | May 18, 2004 04:25 PM

REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT & GOP

It's very frustrating to do this. I worked very hard to put this information
on the ADS-L web site, and the old archives are either not available or
destroyed completely. I did this seven years ago.

Also, PUCK was supposed to be available in American Periodical Series Online,
but it's still not fully there.

I only have Saturday to go to the New York Public Library, and I like to
sleep late that day, and I didn't do much last Saturday.  However, a brief check
of THE DAILY GRAPHIC (NY) was worthwhile.

April 7, 1873, pg. 8, THE DAILY GRAPHIC, had a cartoon of "THE WHITE ELEPHANT
IN THE TOMBS." The elephant is "G.F.T.," or George Francis Train. I'll have
to look more to see if this relates to the Republican Elephant used by Thomas
Nast a year later (1874).

I said here seven years ago that I believe THE DAILY GRAPHIC, and not Thomas
Nast in HARPER'S WEEKLY, is responsible for popularizing the Democratic
Donkey.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM) ("Democratic donkey")
   Reno Evening Gazette     Tuesday, March 25, 1879 Reno, Nevada
...and has trying to rido the DEMOCRATIC DONKEY over siuco. The Stock
flxdMwje.....e'ditoi'sandall, Iti.t a bona fide DEMOCRATIC organ and has of friends
of..

 Wellsboro Agitator     Tuesday, June 25, 1878 Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
...it bcbrs, I atays Wnen DEMOCRATIC DONKEY brays, I will all tbe ysa< and..

 Bucks County Gazette   Thursday, October 14, 1880 Bristol, Pennsylvania
...is complete. m t m The DEMOCRATIC DONKEY thinks this is an ear-ah of..

   Oshkosh Daily Northwestern   Friday, December 15, 1876 Oshkosh, Wisconsin

...find the keeping of the DEMOCRATIC DONKEY's ears outof sight, like
the.....the "Eepublic perished" when the DEMOCRATIC party fell. and the..

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM) ("Republican Elephant")
   Star Sentinel    Thursday, October 21, 1880 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
...A. LEMON, of Blair. THE REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT lias been on the track of
the.....iHciii.) of July 3D. isso. 15 REPUBLICAN A Gain of 6 Presidential..

   Denton Journal   Saturday, November 13, 1880 Denton, Maryland
...follows "Marching On. The REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT Takes Possession of the
Ring.....Burlington Hawk-Eye prints the cut an ELEPHANT with tho label '1884' on
his..

 Saturday Herald    Saturday, June 21, 1884 Decatur, Illinois
...Weekly. It ''presents 'the REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT Ijjth his ..back broken,
the.....i than he was able to stand. ji'HE REPUBLICAN state convention of
pnsas..

   Newark Daily Advocate    Friday, September 05, 1884 Newark, Ohio
...Utica Herald: The REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT is beginning to find out that.....of
cheap, foreign contract labor. The REPUBLICAN Senate killed the bill. SUCH..

   Indiana Democrat     Thursday, June 19, 1884 Indiana, Pennsylvania
...this week representing the REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT aa broken down and
prostrate.....stage he afterward ran for offic' as a REPUBLICAN and has been In office
as a..

 Decatur Morning Review     Wednesday, October 29, 1884 Decatur, Illinois
...living. 3 lie Tour of the REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT. After the result in
West.....Oct A novel feature of Friday night's REPUBLICAN parade will be a slxteen..

   Atlanta Constitution     Friday, July 06, 1883 Atlanta, Georgia
...to play the part of the REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT in the next campaign Now
that.....Barker is very He thinks the coming REPUBLICAN state convention of..

   Atlanta Constitution     Wednesday, June 18, 1884 Atlanta, Georgia
...the back of the decrepit REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT friends in Ohio will press
him.....a plurality of although the bore the REPUBLICAN candidate no ill will..

 Decatur Review     Thursday, April 14, 1881 Decatur, Illinois
...to is about as much as the REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT can do to carry Hahone.
Mahone..

   Star And Sentinel    Thursday, November 07, 1878 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

...to be seen HONESTMONEY ie REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT was about on Tuesday,
smashing.....legislature, which secures the REPUBLICAN State ticket and a REPUBLICAN
..
Pg. 2, col. 2 cartoon:
(On the back of the elephant is "HOYT AND HONEST MONEY"--ed.)
The Republican Elephant was about on Tuesday,...

   Daily Republican     Saturday, August 29, 1874 Decatur, Illinois
...their eyes open. When tho REPUBLICAN ELEPHANT walks over tho child
put.....is rather small. This young human ELEPHANT eats and sleeps well. If ho..

 New Era    Wednesday, March 11, 1885 Humeston, Iowa
...physical danger. JUMPING FROM AX ELEPHANT. To begin with the ELEPHANT.
It.....a Senator to succeed Henry W. Blair (REPUBLICAN) of 2sew Hampshire occurs
iu..

 Saint Joseph Traveler Herald   Saturday, May 31, 1884 Saint Joseph, Michigan

...Convention, in Chicago. "The white ELEPHANT is white only in name.
Its.....on June 3d, 4tli. 5th, 6th and Till, (REPUBLICAN National Convention and
from..

GRAND OLD PARTY & GOP

26 September 1871, New York Times, pg. 1:
It is an hour, not for misgivings and despondency, but rather for good hope
and great rejoicing, that at last the opportunity offers th redemption of the
grand old party from the shame and degradation into which it has been steeped
by the corrupt practices of some of its leaders in this City.

21 January 1875, Washington <i>Evening Star</i>, pg. 4, col. 2:
How, let every one go to work and save the grand old party from destruction.

11 April 1878, Washington Post, pg. 1:
It is as plain as day that the party managers intend to keep down dissensions
within the ranks if possible, and if they cannot have harmony at least
maintain an appearance of it that will deceive the masses into beliving the "grand
old party" is once more united.

20 April 1878, Harper's Weekly, pg. 306, col. 2:
The Republican platform must be something else than a vague impression that
Republicanism is better than Democracy. It must be something else, also, than a
summons to stand by the grand old party.

2 June 1880, Washington <i>Evening Star</i>, pg. 5, col. 6:
"When the nominations are made and the convention had completed its work, let
there be but one sentiment animating all earnest, sincere and unselfish
republicans, and let that be that each shall vie with the other in carrying our
grand old party through the coming contest to victory."

15 December 1881, Los Angeles Times, pg. 2:
After a series of Democratic reverses, beginning at San Francisco and ending
at Virginia, cultured Boston has gone back on the grand old party of Thomas
Jefferson and elected a full Republican ticket.

24 May 1882, Washington <i>Evening Star</i>, pg. 1, col. 6:
"Gentlemen, I am here to resolve with you that we will put out our grand old
party where the immortal Lincoln found it and the immortal Garfield left it."

28 August 1882, Washington <i>Evening Star</i>, pg. 1, col. 5:
In a communicating room are several barrels, which may or may not hold the
voluntary offerings for the salvation of the "grand old party."

25 October 1882, Washington Post, pg. 2:
A Gloomy Picture of "the Grand Old Party" and Its Prospect.
The Republican party has met with a Waterloo in Ohio.

3 November 1882, Washington Post, pg. 2:
The g.o.p. will try to deputy-marshal the wicked Democrats of the old North
State.

20 April 1878, Harper's Weekly, pg. 306, col. 2:
It will be dangerous to rely upon the feeling that it is no worse than the
Democratic party, or, in Mr. _Evart's old phrase, that a horse lame in two legs
is better than a horse lame in three.