Military jargon

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Aug 19 17:28:57 UTC 2004

On Aug 19, 2004, at 11:54 AM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Military jargon
> --------
>
>> He borrowed me a pen but only after he learned me to spell.
>
> dInIs

I'm sure that I've heard "borrow" used with its meaning reversed more
than once. But "learn" for "teach" is as familiar to me as "lightbread"
and "sweetmilk" in glass bottles, with the "top cream" floating
redundantly on top of it. Of course, that was "du'in' th' waw," before
everything got "homuh-gene-ized."

BTW, dInIs, shouldn't that be "learnt," as the Brits also say?

-Wilson Gray