"Follow-upped"

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Aug 19 17:42:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 01:43:36PM -0400, sagehen wrote:
> Heard on Fresh Air today:
> English-speaking Aussie (doctor from Drs w/o Borders), talking about the
> situation in Darfur, said something was not "follow upped".  It only
> occurred once, but it was in the midst of a perfectly fluent account of
> matters there, and sounded somehow naturalized. IOW, I don't think it was
> simply a slip.

New to me, but Google has about a dozen real-sounding
examples, including:

* Not only did you help us with placing the order but you
follow-upped and gave us the confirmation in a timely matter

* ...late rent notices are automatically sent and promptly
follow-upped by our...

* Councilmember Dela Cruz follow-upped on requests from the
previous meeting:

* I've x-posted and follow-upped to the CGI authoring group...

Best

Jesse Sheidlower
OED