Dueling dialects

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Aug 20 15:08:37 UTC 2004

Larry (/lEri/ for me),

Of course it won't work. Imagine trying to get tin-eared northerners
to make wh/w or long-o/open o (before /r/) distinctions, weather
they're in your name or not. My colleague Yen-Hwei Lin, who is
impressed with my pronunciation of her second syllable, has always
been disappointed by my treatment of her first (obviously /yin/).

dInIs

PS: She's never cared very much for my tones, however.

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor