Dueling dialects

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Aug 22 00:47:54 UTC 2004

On Aug 21, 2004, at 11:38 AM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Dueling dialects
> --------
>
>> And one on the Ohio River in Southern Indiana pronounced "byew-nuh"
>> (or even "byew-nee" by a few old timers). They have also lost
>> contact with the origin of the town name (though not the meaning). A
>> place-name legend there has it that a local priest who knew Latin
>> (sic) looked out one day, saw what a pleasant view it was, and named
>> the town so (in Latin).
>
> dInIs

Hm. Maybe it was people from there who founded Buena "byew-nuh" Park,
California, where one would naturally expect "bway-nuh." On the other
hand, it's their pronouncing the town and street name San Pedro as
"saen pee-dro" and not as "saen/sahn pay-dro" that is the shibboleth
that distinguishes the real Angelenos from the tourists and other
newcomers. Well, that and the raising of /E/ to [I] before nasals. As a
classmate of mine once put it, "Why should I pronounce [E] before
nasals here [in phonetics class] hwIn I don't do it at home [in Santa
Rosa, CA]?" He was a good man, dInIs.

-Wilson Gray