addenda/s...alumni

Benjamin J Barrett gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sun Aug 22 16:49:27 UTC 2004

Yes, I'm curious about the number used with nouns in an adjectival or
attributive position:

1. people food/people mover, alumni association, women's shoes/men's
underwear (modern coinages?)

2. mouse hole, louse remover, manhole, foot powder/footwear/foot odor
(older formations?)

3. businessman's/men's convention (man sounds better to me, but St.
Google prefers men)

It seems mice, lice and feet are never used with pattern 1, and person
never with pattern 2, yet men/man seems to cross over.

Is there a rule to govern whether the singular or plural form is used?

Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place (with ice cream)
www.hiroki.us