Remembering Rima

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Mon Aug 23 18:57:55 UTC 2004

Rima was indeed a happy pleasant spirit.  She was a very good friend,
though we saw each other mostly at DSNA and ADS meetings.  She also
had an indomitable spirit, which was sorely tried by her illness.
Still, I wasn't expecting her to actually die, because she always
seemed to rally, after having seemingly exhausted all the available
treatments.  She was expecting not to make it through 2001, but there
she was, at DSNA in May that year, seemingly not ill at all.  Same
thing two years later, at DSNA in Durham, NC.  She had a great sense
of humor and irony, which probably helped carry her through a lot
longer than could have been expected.  (Her business card read "Have
diacritics.  Will pron.")  As recently as a month ago, she helped me
out with a headline for the DSNA Newsletter (members should all have
received this issue by now).  Our 2005 meeting is in Boston, at Boston
University, and I wanted to work in a ref to the classic "pahk your
cah in Hahvad Yahd" and wasn't sure how to spell or present it.  The
headline that's there is what she came up with: "No Need to Pahk in
Hahvad Yahd -- You Can Take the T to Town!"  I had no idea this would
be her swan song.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
727 9th Street East
Saskatoon, Sask.
S7H 0M6
Canada
Tel: 306-955-8910

Barry wrote, on Aug 22, 2004:

> REMEMBERING RIMA
>
> This is horrible news. I didn't even know that Rima had been ill.
>
> I saw her just one time, in 1999 at the DSNA meeting in
> Berkeley. I always
> thought that I'd see her again sometime. I enjoyed her
> posts here on ADS-L.
>
> She seemed like a happy, pleasant spirit.

---