"Bearded Lady" (NJ governor's wife)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 25 01:19:59 UTC 2004

At 7:23 AM -0700 8/24/04, Margaret Lee wrote:
>One of the commentators on CNN called her the 'Cover Girl."
>
>Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:Today's NEW YORK POST headline has "Bearded
>1st Lady," although that headline
>doesn't show up on the internet version of the story.
>
>What other slang would you call her?

Why treat to beat the Post's very clever pun?  "Cover girl" is OK,
but doesn't work on as many levels.  I think "Bearded 1st Lady"
(where the alphanumeric form of the ordinal makes it easier to get
both "bearded lady" and hence "beard" as well as "first lady") is
almost, but perhaps not quite up there with my all-time fave, the one
referring to an occasion in the 90's (during the heyday of the
"Nobody Beats the Wiz" commercials) on which the Mets' Jose Vizcaino
was beaned (hit in the head) by a pitched ball, sparking an all-out
rhubarb between his teammates and the opponents.  The headline:

NOBODY BEANS THE VIZ

The only problem with the Bearded Lady is that Dina McG, while an
unwitting beard, would not normally be described as "bearded" by
either her previous (pre-outing) status or her current (post-outing)
one.  Or am I wrong about that?

larry