Flarf (unmangled this time?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 25 07:14:31 UTC 2004

(The last post appears to have been mangled, so I'll try again.  Everything
goes wrong in my life. Everything. All the time. So I think it's about time for
a vacation, so I go to the company I've gone with many times and e-mail to
book the trip to Bhutan and Sikkim. No response. So I e-mail again. I'm Barry
Popik, I want to buy your product with money, please, real human beings can do
this...)

FLARF

_Awful poems sought and found: From span to Google, flarf redefines random_
(...)
"If you have a Googled/cut up poem that still has most of its social filters
set too high, it may be interesting poetry but it's probably not flarfy."
--VILLAGE VOICE, August 25-31, 2004, pg. 48.

FLARF--892 Google hits, 2,910 Google Groups hits
FLARF + POETRY--276 Google hits, 335 Google Groups hits
"Flarf" is not in OED, not in HDAS, and not in WordSpy. Also, not on
Double-Tongued Word Wrester, a seeming flarf-friendly place.

FlaRF is the Florida Renaissance fair.

(GOOGLE)
Flarf
... To steal another formulation from O'Hara, flarf being surer and quicker
than
poetry, it is only just that flarf finish poetry off. ****. ...
epc.buffalo.edu/authors/ bernstein/syllabi/readings/flarf.html - 35k - Cached
- Similar pages

(GOOGLE)
{lime tree}: Flarf?
... Flarf came about a couple of years ago when Gary Sullivan submitted a
deliberately
bad poem to Poetry.com, one of those vanity companies that lures the ...
limetree.ksilem.com/archives/000173.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: BBC & Flarf
... consist of me reading the last 4 or 5 lines of "Stupidity Owns Me" from
COMBO 12,
and then explaining that Flarf is intentionally bad poetry that involves ...
alt.confusion.at-its-finest - May 10, 2004 by noemata - View Thread (1
article)

Issues of Style (was: Enough Nodwigabilia)
... You've mentioned my poetry long enough, you might just tempt me. ...
You'll
be sore. You have no idea, flarf, what literature can do. ...
rec.arts.books - Nov 1, 1998 by Philip Nikolayev - View Thread (9 articles)

Jan.28.1998 (news.gamma.ru)
... alt.fishing 39 74.71 alt.fitness 3 23.07 alt.flame 451 1204.14 alt.flarf
7 5.45 ... 1
1.13 christnet.healing 2 3.06 christnet.ladies 1 1.17 christnet.poetry 1 1.59
srcc.local.statistics - Jan 29, 1998 by newsadm at gamma.ru - View Thread (1
article)

OKOLEHAU/OKOLEHAO

OKOLEHAO--848 Google hits, 59 Google Groups hits

FOOD DICTIONARY: HOME
okolehao [oh-koh-leh-HAH-oh] An 80 PROOF Hawaiian liquor made from a mash
of the TI plant. ... Okolehao is known on the islands as oke . ...
eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/ food/index.ssf?DEF_ID=2954 - 43k - Cached -
Similar pages

In a message dated 8/25/2004 12:00:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
douglas at NB.NET writes:

> Why would anybody think it was?
>
> "Okolehao": lots of Google hits.

Yes, I meant "Okolehao." I might have earlier than 1895 in my Hawaiian
materials...Google usually corrects me on these spelling things, but I got "Did you
mean OKLAHOMA?"

"HOLY COW" COINAGE: "Why would anybody think it was?" You mean, people can
believe any etymology about anything, and publish anything anywhere without
correction, EXCEPT "Holy Cow"? Here are two examples:

Harry Caray's Chicago: The Splendid Table
... A large plastic replica of a cow with holes in it pays tribute to Harry,
who coined
the expression "Holy Cow!" The famous homemade potato chips served at the ...

splendidtable.publicradio.org/ whereweeat/stern_harrycaray.shtml - 11k -
Cached - Similar pages

Yahoo! Directory Sportscasters > Harry Caray
... and about Harry. Harry Caray WAS Baseball - offers a tribute to the man
who coined the phrase "Holy Cow."; Harry Caray's Restaurant ...
dir.yahoo.com/Recreation/Sports/News_and_Media/
Sportscasters/Caray__Harry__1917_1998_/ - 20k - Cached - Similar pages