a billion here, a billion there

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Aug 25 13:07:41 UTC 2004

Gerald is as I recall correct in terms of the venue in which Dirksen used
the phrase. Dirksen, however, was a throwback to a time when such speech was
commonplace, and I am certain that if he never used it in a  formal
political speech it was only because didn't think about it in time. My
father back in the 1950s once took me to a Republican gathering just so I
could see Dirksen in action. He took me on the ground that I would probably
never get the opportunity to see his like again.

Ev was in full flower that day, and it was a sight to behold.

The following quote is from
http://www.peoriamagazines.com/archives/Jun2004/aa/history.htm:
"As a youth, Dirksen honed his oratorical ability by preaching to the family
cow. He later adopted the advice of orator William Jennings Bryan: to speak
to the folks in the back of the audience. He colored his gifted rhetoric
with humorous, homespun stories, Biblical references, and allusions to
Lincoln. His tousled hair and rumpled clothes gave him a folksy appeal."

If my memory serves me right I have seen a tape of Dirksen making the
statement about billions. It was as I recall in response to an off the cuff
question by a reporter in the corridors of the Capitol building. He may have
forgotten that he ever said it, but I am pretty certain a tape of the
interview still exists.

Page Stephens