Pedilogical

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Aug 26 23:00:16 UTC 2004

>A subscriber has asked about the word "pedilogical", which he has
>heard several times recently. Google throws up 14 examples. I  assume
>this is a mistake for "pedagogical", but am intrigued to know how it
>is that the one can be converted into the other in people's minds?

Of the 8 independent Google hits which I get, one is apparently an error
for "pedological" (referring to the study of soil). The others appear to be
errors for "pedagogical".

However, note also the OTHER word "pedological" which refers to the study
of children and their development (says the book) ... in some contexts this
might be indistinguishable from "pedagogical".

Why the first "i" in "pedilogical"? Maybe from "pediatric"? Or maybe just a
boo-boo; it's hard to tell how often "pedagogical" appears as "pedological"

I tentatively agree with Larry about why the error for "pedagogical" might
occur. Quick search in MW3 shows 446 words ending in "-logical", but only 9
in "-gogical" (most of these new to me).

-- Doug Wilson