Big Apple Whore Hoax (update); Oxford Food Book; Panda (OED?)

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sat Aug 28 03:02:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:14:36PM -0400, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
> PANDA
>
> Jen Chung (http://www.gothamist.com/jenchung.php), the beautiful and talented
> editor of Gothamist.com who really should come with me to Bhutan, has a thing
> for pandas.
>
> Jesse, what does the revised OED have for "panda"?

Relatively similar info to what's in there now.

> The "Making of America" database has some 19th century hits. I haven't yet
> checked Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO).

These are quite clearly examples of sense 1, the racoon-like animal,
not sense 2.a., the large black-and-white bear-like animal. The MoA
hits even give the scientific name that OED gives for its sense 1.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED