Jimmy Crack(-ed?/-s?) Corn

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sun Aug 29 20:26:44 UTC 2004

Doug said:

In 1972 there was a newspaper column in which Burl Ives was quoted as
claiming that the original form of the song had "give me" but that he
(Ives) had changed it to "Jimmy". Maybe a misquotation?

Anyway one would need to show the "give me" version before 1846 to
substantiate the implausible "gimme" story ... and I can't find anything
before 1972.

I learned Ives's version in the fifties. That's not evidence for his claim,
but for the date of his version.

-- Mark A. Mandel

More information about the Ads-l mailing list