e-dress

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Dec 2 21:46:28 UTC 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 4:02 PM, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIOU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: e-dress
> --------
>
> In fact, I think it's pretty common here to stress the first syllable
> for
> the noun (what's your AD-dress?) and the second for the verb (a-DRESS
> me
> politely!).  Do most of you agree?

For me, the difference is slightly finer. I use the end-stressed
version for any instance wherein "address," merely under other
circumstances, *could* be a verb. E.g. Lincoln's Gettysburg [@DRES] :
the speech vs. Lincoln's Gettysburgh [AEdres] : his summer home.
There's a Wahnuh Brudduhs cahtoon in which Bugs Bunny, as Lincoln,
says, "Write me at my Gettysburg [@DRES]" = "Write me at my speech."
For me, this pun loses much of its punch, if Bugs says, instead, "Write
me at my Gettysburgh [AEdres]" = "Write me at my house."

-Wilson