"Long, Tall Texan"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Dec 3 00:20:26 UTC 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 5:23 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Long, Tall Texan"
> --------
>
> Another worthwhile recollection, Wilson. The printed record begins, as
> is often the case for such phrases, around 1970.
>
> JL

Thank you! Here's a bit more info. It was in 1961 that I first heard
the phrase. It was used by white G.I.'s. Black G.l.'s used the phrase:
"That must be your asshole talking, because your mouth knows better!"
Another was, "Close your mouth before flies get in!" I.e. "you're
talking shit."

Here's some background on those days. I served in a unit designated
"Processing Company," a unit that was lily-white, except for this
correspondent. I worked, lived, drank, partied, went sight-seeing and
on road trips with my white colleagues. I drank, partied, and went on
leave (the term "furlough" may be obsolete or maybe just not used
during "peacetime"; I never heard it in my day, though I recall it from
WWII) with black G.I.'s from other units. So, I heard slang "from both
sides then," so to speak.

-Wilson