BVD's

Fri Dec 3 00:30:45 UTC 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 3:10 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> ...Remember "Boolie-Woolie" (or however it was spelled) by Sam the
> Sham &
> the Pharoahs?

"Wooly Bully" (LP released 1965).  i have friends whose baby, born in
1965, was extremely fretful.  for a while, the only thing that would
soothe her to sleep was "Wooly Bully", played at bone-vibrating
amplitudes.  i still have ambivalent feelings about the song.

> They were Texans

sam was actually Domingo Samudio.

>  and it's in Texas that the term
> "woolie-boolies" was used. I've long wondered whether the title of the
> song was an in-joke aimed at other Texans or just a coincidence.

i certainly didn't know the term as applicable to long johns/BVDs/etc.
don't know whether it was an in-joke.

> A few readers may remember movies, comic strips, etc. that depicted
> cowboys - and, for that matter, hicks in general, whether Northern or
> Southern - as always wearing long underwear under their outer clothing.

oh my, yes.

arnold