"Wicked City" in American Periodical Series (1867)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 5 01:36:46 UTC 2004

>From the American Periodical Series Online.

I'd posted a "wicked windy city" in the archives. Other cities, such as New York and St. Louis, were also called "wicked"--but usually Chicago.

(American Periodical Series)
   1. CHICAGO; AN ATROCIOUS AND PREMEDITATED MURDER A Wife Poisons Intoxicated Husband. BIGAMY THE PROBABLE CAUSE OF THE FOULDEED. A Ruffianty Saloon Keeper--He nearly Murders and Citizen. RUM'S SUI A Well-known Robbed of $600. A NOTORIOUS SWINDLE NABBED AND "JUGGED." THE LATE GREAT DIAMOND ROBBERY. THE PROJECTOR OF IT CONFESSES ALL--MOST OF THE PROPERTY RECOVERED.
The National Police. Oct 19, 1867. Vol. VOL. XXIII., Iss. NO. 1155.; p. 6 (1 page):
CHICAGO, Oct. 12, 1867.
The week just past has witnessed one of the most wicked and atrocious deeds that have ever disgraced this most wicked city.

   2. Article 12 -- No Title
Forest and Stream; A Journal of Outdoor Life, Travel, Nature Study, Shooting, Fishing, Yachting (1873-1930). New York: Apr 8, 1875. Vol. Volume 4,, Iss. Number 9.; p. 136 (2 pages)
First page:
Its new purchaser is Henry Martyn Smith, Esq., who built the Grand Pacific Hotel at Chicago after the fire, and for twenty years recognized as one of the leading journalists of that wicked city of the plains.

   3. Archaeological Discoveries.
The Universalist Quarterly and General Review (1844-1891). Boston: January 1877. Vol. 14; p. 116 (4 pages)

   4. ROMANCE OF THE RING.; Vioissitudes of a Fair Country Damsel, Whose Infatuation for a Knight of the Sawdust WROUCHT HER RUIN. An Elopement, an Ill-Advised Marriage, a Circus Career, Desertion, and the Wind-Up IN THE ABODES OF THE LOST.
The National Police Gazette (1845. Jun 8, 1878. Vol. Vol. XXXII., Iss. No. 37.; p. 6 (1 page):
I then drifted to the wicked city of Chicago and entered a house and stayed there a spell, until I changed my pasture to Indianapolis and took quarters with Queen Mab and May Denton.

   5. CHICAGO'S QUEER CRIMES.; How Her Enterprising Reporters Improve the Shining Hours by Nosing Around the Dark Places OF THAT WICKED CITY. A Gilded Den of Infamy that can Hardly be Matched Outside of That Lively Town. A PLUCKY SCRIBE'S ESCAPE.
The National Police Gazette (1845. Oct 19, 1878. Vol. Vol. XXXIII., Iss. No. 56.; p. 7 (1 page)

   6. CRUSADING THE CYPRIANS.; A Chicago Police Captain's Self-Assumed Herculean Labor of Cleaning One of the Moral Plague Spots of THAT VERY WICKED CITY Startling Revelations of the Infamous Traffic Which an Investigation of the Infected District Brought to Notice. A WHOLESALE SLAUGHTER OF BABES.
The National Police Gazette. Dec 6, 1879. Vol. Vol. XXXV., Iss. No. 115.; p. 3 (1 page)

   7. Article 12 -- No Title
The National Police Gazette (1845-1906). New York: Oct 23, 1880. Vol. Vol. XXXVII., Iss. No. 161.; p. 11 (1 page)

(American Civil War: Letters and Diaries)
1. Comstock, Elizabeth Leslie Rous Wright,... . "Letter from Elizabeth Leslie Rous Comstock, November 25, 1875"
[Page 361 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
and Girls. "Thus far on my way to St. Louis, Missouri. R. M. C. my companion. We shall have a long wearisome journey, but I trust, with the Lord's presence and his blessing, we shall find our strength equal to our day. We expect to be in that desperately wicked city two weeks. We propose to hold two meetings daily, one of which will be in the churches of the city each evening, the other with the various workers in the Mission and Temperance work, or public prisons and institutions. In addition to this, we hope to gather together into a compact body, the

Results Bibliography
Comstock, Elizabeth Leslie Rous Wright, 1815-1891, Letter from Elizabeth Leslie Rous Comstock, November 25, 1875, in Life and Letters of Elizabeth L. Comstock. Hare, Catherine, comp.. Philadelphia, PA: John C. Winston & Co., 1895, pp. 511. S296-D082 [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [11-25-1875] Comsto:L296-82