History of Rap; Salovesh; Reconstruction Cuisine; Light Bulb=Idea

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 6 02:23:07 UTC 2004

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC: WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?
SATURDAY: Docks, at Third Avenue and East 41st Street (a short walk from  the
New York Public Library). It's a big place that's known for its seafood. I
played it safe ordering $20 fish & chips ($25 with tax and tip). You can get
better fish & chips in a pub for less. But Docks is a nice  place.
SUNDAY: Westside Cottage II, 690 Ninth Avenue, at 46th Street. Food critics
will never rave about places like this, but it's a bright, clean Chinese place
 where I had delicious sesame tofu for under $10.

MIKE SALOVESH--I just called him at that phone number. I begged him to come
back to ADS-L, told him that "Windy City" might finally make the Chicago
Tribune  this week, and wished him happy holidays.

HISTORY OF RAP--The New York Daily News has a feature called "Big Town
Songbook." In today's Sunday Daily News, pg. 47 (it's probably on the web also),
is "The History of Rap in the City, part one of six," by music/culture writer
David Hinckley. The first article is about Kool Herc, the DJ who came before
Afrika Bambaataa and Grandmaster Flash.

RECONSTRUCTION CUISINE--
Sunday New York Post, 5 December 2004, pg. 108, cols. 1-2:
Just opened
Komegashi
928 Broadway
(212) 475-3000
(...) The menu features "reconstruction cuisine"--Japanese ingredients
expressed through French technique. This translates to somewhat strange dishes
like terrine of foie gras with teriyaki chicken (no, this is not a typo), goat
cheese cutlets wrapped in hijiki (see previous parenthetical), fluke with sea
urchin and tomato confit, and tofu blanc mange. Even sushi comes in the form
of  a terrine.
(Google has only one hit for "reconstruction cuisine," and it looks like
past Civil War Reconstruction--ed.)

LIGHT BULB=IDEA--It's hard to record this concept, even with newspaper
digitization. A light bulb over someone's head represents an idea. I found it in
panel three of the comic BUSTER GATES, THE CRASHER...By Monicker, NEW YORK SUN,
 12 March 1926, pg. 40.

NEW YORK RANGERS--
NEW YORK AMERICAN, 27 March 1926, pg. 17+:
THE game, as everyone now knows, was the Garden's big drawing card of the
Winter. The professionals were followed by the college teams, and they, too,
drew big crowds. Now Mr. Rickard and his Garden associates are talking of
putting their own Garden team into the professional league next season, in
addition to the present team.

No "Tex's Rangers"!

NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 22 March 1926, pg. 17. There's an article about  the
Madison Square Garden hockey team, then the New York Americans, playing the
Portland Rosebuds. Right above that is a BRIGGS cartoon, titled DAYS OF  REAL
SPORT. Kids pull a small wagon/cart that reads "RANGER."