"Quick Lunch," Grimes & the TImes

Mon Dec 6 17:12:33 UTC 2004

English visitors to NYC in the early 19th C often commented on the
habit of eating midday meals very quickly and silently.  Capt.
Marryat's book of his travels in America in about 1827 has a very nice
long description of a meal in a restaurant that specialized in corned
beef.  I posted an excerpt several years ago with reference to the
coded language used by the waiters to communicate orders to the kitchen.

Here is a letter comparing a fine restaurant with a cheap one, from
1836:

Choice way of creating an appetite, and getting a cheap dinner. -- Go
to Sandy Welsh's between the hours of 2 and 4, glance over the bill of
fare, snuff up the odoriferous scent from the luxuries and delicacies
of his kitchen, take three turns round, and then dart into Sweeney's
slap bang shop.  One Who Knows.  The Herald, June 16, 1836, p. 1, col. 2

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness,
treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our
graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).