Phonetic alphabets

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Dec 7 20:17:03 UTC 2004

James Bowie of knife fame was definitely a [bui]. Once upon a time,
there was a TV adventure series based upon his life. The program had a
theme song that began, "Jim [bui]! Jim [bui]! Jim [bui]!" The fraternal
twins, Raymond and Rosemary Bowie, with whom I attended grade school in
the '40's, were also [bui]. That is to say, it was once the case that
*everybody* knew that "Bowie" was pronounced [bui].

Speaking of namesakes, I received an e-mail today from one "Wilson
Gunn." Unfortunately, it was merely yet another iteration on the
Nigerian Letter,

-Wilson Gray