A newly popular word

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 9 01:07:47 UTC 2004

In my experience, "wingnut" simply means a "nut." It's been around for a some years. Any nuances based on the political or sitcom connotations of "wing" are recent, however. (A literal wingnut, of course, is a hardware nut with little "wings" that allow it to be hand-tightened.)

Members of an aircraft carrier's air wing also have been known as "wingnuts."

Now "moon-bat' !  THAT'S new.  (The old "National Lampoon" had "fruitbat" as a
synonym for "fruitcake.")

JL

"Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mullins, Bill"
Subject: Re: A newly popular word

Probably comes from "left wing nut" or "right wing nut". I've seen it
applied to nuts on either side of the spectrum (along with "moonbat", which
I like better).

"Wing Nut" is also seen on discussion boards about the show "The West Wing",
and is used to describe a fan of the show. It doesn t seem to have a
perjorative sense, there.