shock rock, cock rock

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Dec 9 14:34:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 04:05:10AM -0500, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
> I see that the very latest OED3 draft entries of Dec. 9 include "shock
> rock" and "cock rock".  First cite given for "shock rock" is 1971, so I
> guess the previously discovered 1966 cite was submitted too late for
> inclusion...

That's correct; we had both of these but not in time to get them in.

That same Creem article, by Mike Saunders, also has what is apparently
the first use of _heavy metal_, and _blooze_ (I had thought this was
a Lester Bangs-ism, but haven't found anything earlier in Bangs, but
no doubt Ben will soon correct me), and earlier in the issue is Dave
Marsh's apparent coinage of _punk rock_. It's a remarkable combo.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED