I'm done my homework

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Dec 9 14:39:33 UTC 2004

From:    "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
: On Oct 31, 2004, at 8:38 PM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

:: an exchange between a grad student and me:

:::: Have you heard this?
:::: I'm done my homework.

::: no.

:::: Made me go "ugggh" but apparently it's pretty popular on the East
:::: Coast. do some googling, and you'll see it's all over...

: not much of a response on this one.  but now, from this same grad
: student, who's used examples like this as fillers in a study of
: judgments on genXso:
: -----
: Of the 4 people that gave top marks to "I'm done my homework", 3 are
: from Maryland and 1 is from Horsham PA.  Interesting.

And the 3 from Maryland are most likely from Baltimore (or maybe Columbia)
and north, i'm guessing. I don't have any firm data to back it up, but that
seems to be one of the big Central Maryland-Southern Maryland (there is no
Northern Maryland) linguistic differences, from my eavesdropping. (And it
may be a relatively recent import, too, but i'm on even tenuouser ground
with that one.)

No idea what Western Maryland or the Eastern Shore are like with this one,
though. but my guess is that the former would pattern with Central Maryland;
no idea at all on the latter.

<snip>

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx